Friday 3 October 2014

Cycling PEI and Bowling

I was going to write what a frustrating day it had been but it has redeemed itself somewhat this evening. I needed to get further around PEI so decided to rent a bike from the hostel. First I collected a cycle route map and some advice from the tourist information centre then came back for the bike and mandatory helmet. I set off shortly after 10am with my aim to ride part of the Confederation Trail. The weather was perfect for it with barely a cloud in the sky, a light breeze and a little of the cool side. I thought it better than riding around on the roads (although there are many cycle lanes) and though there might be some things to see along the way. What I found was a lovely trail to ride but absolutly nothing to see just field after field and lots of trees. All the places I past though on the map were tiny, just a few houses, there was little signage and virtually no toilets let alone anywhere to buy something to eat. I rode much further than I should in hope that things might change and ended up going all the way to Mount Stewart over 20 miles away. I thought I could see an alternative route back on the map but it turned out to be along some big looking roads and quite hilly (the trail was at least generally flat) so I simple turned around and headed back. I did try to go to Tracadie Bay which looked like it was just off the trail but once again found it meant riding on some big roads and I was not happy doing that without a designated cycle lane.

I eventually make it back to the Charlottetown in the late afternoon and went straight to the supermarket. I wanted to pick up food for my journey tomorrow but was also staving having not found anywhere en route to pick up anything for lunch. Thatkfully I at least had my water bottle with me though. I ate as soon as I walked out of the supermarket then came back to the hostel for a cup of tea and a rest.

Being a glutton for punishment and having not seen the sights I had expected I went out on the bike again for about an hour and headed west through Victoria Park and over to the North (Yorke) River shore and over to Lewis Point. There was not much to see that way either but at least I saw what there was to offer including some very nice property on the shorefront. I was racing back to the hostel as the light was running out and got back just before 7pm. I had a little rest in the garage which has been converted into an extra common room with a pool table and music system then came in to cook and eat.

Levi, the hostel owner invited me along with him, Sina, his girlfriend and her father to go 5 pin bowling close to the hostel. Marie, one of the hostel workers came too and it made for a very fun evening. We had three games and only had to pay for shoe hire. I found it easier than 10 pin bowling and was slightly better at it as a result.

I really need to shower tonight, pack my things and set my alarm as I have to wake up early to get the bus to Halifax via a change in Amherst. I should sleep well tonight and hopefully on the bus too. Fingers crossed I am not too sore after all the exercise I have had here.

Hillsborough River

Brighton Beach Range Rear Lighthouse


Levi bowling

 

1 comment:

  1. You must have boundless stores of energy! All that cycling and yet you're still able to go five-pin bowling. Here's hoping you will have had a good rest by the time your bus reaches Halifax.

    ReplyDelete