Thursday 2 October 2014

Exploring Charlottetown

I've had a day of walking. I slept very well but as usual on this trip woke up early and was one of the first people down for breakfast. I spent quite some time eating and chatting including having several pieces of the lovely banana bread on offer. When I was ready I walked down to the nearby tourist information office. It was a lovely day with bright sunshine but with a bit of a chill in the air. The tourist information didn't have anything extra for me so I walked on stopping first at Saint Dunstan's Basilica then on to Province House to learn something about the history of Prince Edward Island and Charlottetown's place in the formation of the Confederation. I walked on towards Victoria Park going past Beaconsfield Historic House and Government House, the official residence of the Lieutenant Governor of Prince Edward Island. I walked along the boardwalk past Prince Edward Battery and all the way along to Brighton Beach Range Lighthouse.

I walked back through the park towards the centre of town. There I visited the Confederation Centre Art Gallery. It was small but hosted a whole variety of Canadian art. From there I went down to the seafront walking around Peake's Quay and Confederation Landing Park. I wandered back into the town centre and around the shops then back to the hostel.

I was glad to be off my feet for a while and it had clouded over a little in the middle of the afternoon. I did go back out and over to Victoria Park again late in the afternoon but went the most direct route from the hostel as my legs didn't feel like walking too much further. I came back to the hostel shortly before it got dark, cooked and ate and chatted (me mainly listening) with the few guests and workers who were around. There are a lot of new arrivals today and the place is full up tonight. I'm tired so don't plan to do anything much for the rest of the evening. I did a lot more walking than I thought during the day as I seem to have covered ever street across the town centre at least once. I'll try and venture further afield on the island tomorrow.

Saint Dunstan's Basilica
Government House

Brighton Beach Range Front Lighthouse

2 comments:

  1. When you get back,we think you ought to start giving guided walking tours around Lincoln!
    You're obviously enjoying your hostel,and to have a leisurely breakfast is a great start to your long days.
    Continue to enjoy,glad the sun is shining most days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pleased you are enjoying PEI and I really hope the weather stays good for you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete