Monday 6 October 2014

Walking Tour and Ferry to Dartmouth

It's been a much better day for tourism, lovely and sunny and warm enough that I didn't need to wear my jacket for much of the time. I was the last one out of bed in my room this morning but still not up particularly late. I took my time over breakfast then wandered down to the boardwalk, through the crowds of people coming off a recently docked cruise ship and found a guide for a free tour around the historic city. It wasn't as informative as some of the free tours I've been on but did give me some further knowledge of the city and its buildings.

The tour finished in Grand Parade where I visited Saint Paul's Anglican Church then walked down to the ferry terminal. I took the short ferry ride over to Dartmouth where I went to grab a coffee and an enormous (and very delicious) muffin at a coffee shop I'd seen recommended by a travel blogger. I had time to take a quick walk around the Common which gave good views of Halifax, a short look around Downtown then a walk through Ferry Terminal Park. I jumped on the ferry back to Halifax shortly before my transfer was due to expire and walked along the boardwalk stopping to sit in the sun and read for a while.

I headed back to the hostel to freshen up then went out to meet Emma and Catherine, my cousin Jane's daughters. We went for an early dinner at Darrell's which is very close to the hostel and university. I was advised to try the peanut butter burger and whilst it shouldn't work it does being absolutely delicious. It was an enjoyable meal and great to catch up with both of them and I'll be seeing them again shortly when I'm in Hamilton for Thanksgiving. 

I've been for an hour walk this evening. There are loads of bars and restaurants around the city but all quite quiet. I guess it is Monday night so shouldn't have expected much. I grabbed a bottle of soda and headed back to the hostel to put my feet up, write this blog entry and figure out what I should do on my final day here.

City Hall

Panoramic view of Halifax from the ferry

Ferry and Angus L Macdonald Bridge
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good day out Tom, pleased the sun shone to help make for a pleasant trip across to Dartmouth.
    Meeting and dining with Emma & Catherine must have been fun,not sure about the peanut butter burger though!

    ReplyDelete