Tuesday 7 October 2014

Point Pleasant Park, Galleries and the Maritime Museum


I've had a nice final day in Halifax. It was sunny again so I elected to go without a coat. I spent much of the morning in Point Pleasant Park. It wasn't too far a walk from the hostel passed some lovely big houses and once there I wandered around the various trails. My first sight was the Prince of Wales Tower and I came across several of the batteries all seemingly in different states of disrepair. I worked my way down to the coastline and walked alongside the ocean stopping only for a few photos. When I got to Black Rock Beach I found a bench and sat and read for a while.

I made my way back to the hostel via the bus terminal where I picked up a ticket for the airport shuttle bus. I could have saved money and taken a city bus to the airport but that would have meant a 20 minute hike across the city in the morning to get to the stop so convenience won out over cost on this occasion. Back at the hostel I had lunch and relaxed for a while. 

I wandered across the road to the small but interesting ViewPoint Gallery to see their current photography exhibit, went to a nearby record shop and a couple of other neat stores then walked all the way to the North End neighbourhood, through some less desirable looking parts and to the Angus L Macdonald Bridge. I didn't go up on the bridge instead making my way down towards the docks. I couldn't get that close to the water but did see a number of Navy ships. I walked along and found the Anna Leonowens Gallery, again quite small but hosting a diverse selection of art.

I went and sat at Grand Parade for a while then found a more sheltered spot closer to the water where I sat and read. It had clouded over and the wind made it feel a bit chilly. I went and got fish and chips from The Battered Fish stall on the waterfront. It was one of the best rated places I found online and it was very tasty with the fish particularly good. It wasn't exactly the same as the fish and chips we get back home but still worth it. I went and brought a locally printed t-shirt I'd spotted the other day and then went to the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic. It's free on Tuesday evenings and was worth checking out. I must have been in there for almost 2 hours and learnt a lot about the Halifax Explosion and the Titanic. They had exhibits on the War of 1812 and Shipwrecks as well as lots of general information about Canada's maritime history.

I've had a snack back at the hostel to use up some of the food I've brought rather than carrying it with me and am pretty much packed. I'll take a shower tonight and set my alarm for 6am to ensure I'm on the shuttle to the airport for my mid morning flight back to Ottawa.

Prince of Wales Tower, Point Pleasant Park

Halifax Memorial, Point Pleasant Park

Black Rock Beach, Point Pleasant Park
 

1 comment:

  1. Your visit to Halifax has clearly been varied and interesting. Good that you were able to try out the local fish and chips and also buy a souvenir. We can't wait to see the T-shirt! Bon voyage back to Ottawa.

    ReplyDelete