Saturday 19 July 2014

Settling in

So I made it to New York. My flight was ok and at least arrived on time. I watched a couple of films, listened to some music and slept on and off. Pre-screening in Dublin meant there was no need to go through immigration once my flight landed in the US. I managed to figure out the Air Train and connect to the subway. I actually had someone ask me for directions at the subway station! The ride to Brooklyn was quite long but thankfully the hostel is right next to the station (although this does mean you can hear when each train goes past).

I settled in and then went out for a wander to get my bearings. Everywhere seemed quiet until I turned into the Williamsburg area. It is very hip with a shabby chic style and nearly every store being an independent retailer. There are loads of bars and restaurants too and the place was buzzing. I watched some guys playing softball in the park and walked through what seemed like a religious carnival.

It's pretty warm out so I worked up a good sweat and a healthy appetite. I need to choose what to eat and then spend some time surveying my maps and the Lonely Planet to best plan how to spend my time here.


The B Hotel and Hostel, Brooklyn

2 comments:

  1. "No sleep 'til Brooklyn"..... Patrick says 'now go and enjoy!.. glad you arrived safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're settled into the B Hotel, which does indeed look pretty hotel-like. Its handiness to the station probably outweighs the regular reminders of rail traffic, but we hope this doesn't disturb your sleep. Williamsburg sounds fascinating, so we hope you enjoy exploring it and the other areas around you. Have a great Sunday in NYC!

    ReplyDelete