Thursday 18 September 2014

Arrival in Montreal

I was up early this morning to finalise my packing and then for Angela to take me to the bus station in Ottawa. My bus boarded early, left on time at 10am and was fairly empty so I had room to spread out. I slept for the first part of the journey then read the rest of the way. I arrived in Montreal just after midday and was at my hostel soon after as it's located very close to the bus station. The hostel here is very nice with all the usual facilities but in addition an en suite bathroom between four of us, a fridge in the room and a huge bar in the basement with things going on most nights. After I'd checked in I sat for a while and ate the lunch Angela had packed for me whilst checking the map of Montreal I'd been given.

By 2pm I was out and about. The hostel is very close to Downtown and I seemed to be walking along one of the main shopping streets. I found the main tourist information centre and picked up a second map and very useful tourist guide booklet. I walked as far west as The Montreal Museum of Fine Arts then headed south towards Dorchester Square and went inside the amazing Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral. It's apparently modelled on Saint Peter's Basilica in Rome. I was in there for some time looking at the architecture and decoration. From there I walked through Victoria Square to the Old Port starting down by the Lachine Canal then walking alongside the St Lawrence River. I walked up Jacques Cartier Quay and along to Clock Tower Quay. From there I doubled back and went along the promenade then into Old Montreal and up to the City Hall. I snaked my way from there back to the hostel and was out for nearly 4 hours. It's been sunny yet brisk so I wore a jacket but at times got quite warm.

I've been out to the nearby supermarket and brought something to cook which I've already had. It feels odd to be hearing/speaking French and some parts of the city are very European in their style. I guess I'll get used to it as I'm in Quebec province for the next week. I plan to relax for the rest of the evening and maybe I'll do some reading. One of the hostel's free tours runs tomorrow morning and I'm keen to take that to discover more about the city before I strike out by myself again.

M Hostel, Montreal

Mary, Queen of the World Cathedral

View of Montreal from Clock Tower Quay
 

3 comments:

  1. So delighted you had a good first day in Montreal and the hostel was a good one

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are off to a great start in Montreal, and your hostel is clearly an excellent base camp. We hope you enjoy the free city tour. It's bound to give you a good overview and a useful basis for further sight-seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first day there sounded busy with a lot of walking, but you are used to that!! So hope the rest of your stay there is as interesting as your first day there.

    ReplyDelete