Tuesday 30 September 2014

Exploring Moncton and the Tidal Bore

I've had a very nice day walking here and there around Moncton. It was rainy and windy out when I got up but after a good breakfast I was pleasantly surprised by the weather. The breeze had died down and although cool and overcast it was good weather for walking. 

I started out at 10am by heading up to Centennial Park, actually more like a nature reserve. I walked several of the trails all the way to the north end of the park then back down past the lake. At one point I started to overheat and had to take my jacket off. However a light shower meant I was covering up again soon after. It must have taken a good hour and a half for me to walk to the park and around it.

From the park I walked to Resurgo Place to see if they had any further tourist information. I picked up one leaflet, used their wifi and had something to eat. I walked on down to the Petitcodiac River to see it at low tide and walked over one of the bridges to neighbouring Dieppe. I stopped and read for a while then made my way to Tidal Bore Park to wait for the Tidal Bore. There were quite a few people waiting for it and they even had tiered seating if you wanted to sit and watch. The Tidal Bore came 20 minutes early as the schedule indicated it may. It wasn't the tsunami I expected but impressive to watch nonetheless. It moved along at quite a pace and the river continued to flow quickly thereafter. 

It had started to rain but was mainly just a very fine drizzle so nothing to stop me. I walked all the way through Riverfront Park and most of the way across the Gunningsville Bridge then back following a slightly more scenic trail rather than the main path. It reminded me a lot of walking along the canal towpath in Bradford On Avon. I strolled back along to the bridge to Dieppe to see just how far the water had risen. 

It finally stopped raining and I walked back along Main Street stopping for a tea and to use the coffeeshop's wifi to catch up on things. It was after 5.30pm when I finally returned to the hostel and I've walked so far but feel better for it. I relaxed for a while then cooked, ate and chatted. I did think I'd head out tonight but am exhausted so will stay in and look for things to do in my next location, Charlottetown.

Centennial Park

Tidal Bore, Petitcodiac River

View of Moncton and Petitcodiac River from Gunningsville Bridge


 
 

2 comments:

  1. Moncton looks lovely,your pics show off the changing season well. Pleased you were able to explore the countryside and see the Tidal Bore,albeit not as amazing as it probably is at times.
    Glad the hostel was friendly,let's hope you have a similar experience in Charlottetown.
    Happy travels today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always wanted to see this, wish I was there with you. Safe travels. Em xx

    ReplyDelete