Monday 29 September 2014

Train Trip and Arrival in Moncton

The train ride was long but not too bad. Rather than a shuttle bus to the other railway station we were taken by taxi. Once there it was an hour wait for the train to arrive and I checked my main bag in so didn't have to carry it on. When the train arrived there was no announcement so everyone stayed in the waiting room. We should have been boarding at that time before the train moved along the platform for those in the sleeper cars to board. However as no one told us we didn't get outside until the doors were shut and the train about to move further along so had to walk a long way along the platform to get on board.

The train wasn't busy and the seats were massive. I put my watch forward, had a snack and drink, read the starting pages of Pride and Prejudice then settled down to try and get some sleep. I found it best to lean against the window with my feet up across the seats. I couldn't fully extend my legs that way but it was good enough. I slept about 2 hours at a time through till 7.30am and didn't feel too bad when I decided to stay awake. The croissants I brought at the supermarket were still very good and made for a nice breakfast. I took a stroll along the train, most of the carriages were at least half empty and I found some wifi so could check my emails and read the news. I read some more, listened to music, looked at the scenery (some autumnal colours), dozed, ate and then we were at Moncton. We arrived early at 1.45pm.

The Indian Summer was no more with it being overcast and breezy. I found my way to the hostel quite easily although they had no record of my reservation but thankfully a bed free. I couldn't check in until 4pm so left my bag and went walking. I wandered to get a coffee and went to the tourist information centre and picked up the official tourism guide. I was back at the hostel just after 4pm and there were lots of others checking in at the same time. After I'd unpacked a little I went for a power walk around Jones Lake. It was further than I thought but a good way to stretch my legs and walk some of the caffeine out of my system which had the desired effect earlier but was a little too strong for me in the long run. I walked back to the hostel via a huge supermarket where I stocked up for my time here.

The hostel is small and very cosy and it feels quite homely. I've showered, eaten a good meal, have my laundry in the dryer and am sat here chatting with a couple of the other guests and one of the hostel workers. I don't really have a plan for tomorrow. There's plenty to see in the local area and I need to check out the famous Tidal Bore so my schedule is partially determined by the tides which I need to check on the timings of.

C'Mon Inn Hostel, Moncton

Jones Lake
 

2 comments:

  1. It's good to know your journey to Moncton went well, after the slightly stuttering start. We hope your hostel lives up to its very welcoming name. Moncton sounds intriguing. Looking forward to hearing about what you discover there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The tidal bore is quite something and worth seeing Tom so I hope the tides cooperate. Your journey to Moncton seemed long but you are becoming quite the expert on traveling in North America by train and perhaps you could write a book on your experiences once you are back home!! I'm sure it would be a good seller.

    ReplyDelete