Tuesday 2 September 2014

Brewery Tour and the Historic Third Ward

I've been out and about on the bike since mid morning. I started my day by popping around the corner to grab a coffee then rode into Downtown to try and find the visitors centre for more information on things to do. I did pick up another map but that was about it.

I cycled quite a way west to the MillerCoors brewery for a free tour. Milwaukee is known for its beer and this was just one of several breweries offering tours although the others charge for theirs. The brewery is enormous and we got to see stages in both the brewing and bottling/packing stages and also inside the caves which used to be used for storage. The guides were quite informative and there were free samples at the end. I only had half of one small glass (from the six beers available to try) and that was enough for me. Thankfully they also offered soda and pretzels. They were tallying your drinks but I have no idea what the limit was. 

I worked out a route which took me down to the Hank Aaron State Trail,  rode the river loop by the Menomonee River and went past the Harley Davidson Museum. I found my way to the Public Market and took a walk around it and spent some time looking around the Historic Third Ward area. I took the River Walk in search of the famous Bronze Fonz statue eventually tracking him down. Oddly he's not on the tourist maps. I then rode over to Veterans Park to sit by the lake for a while before heading back to the apartment just before 6pm via the supermarket. 

Eric was in and it was good to have a proper conversation with him as we'd not chatted at any length since my first night in the city. I can't see that I'll do much tonight as I'm quite tired from all the riding. I'll take things at a leisurely pace tomorrow and might head to one of the beaches and sit by the lake if it's as nice as it's been today.

MillerCoors Brewery

Making beer

With the Bronze Fonz

1 comment:

  1. Another great day out in Milwaukee, by the sound of it, and your tan bears witness to all your time in the fresh air. At this rate, it won't be long before you're as bronze as the statue of The Fonz.

    ReplyDelete