Sunday 10 August 2014

Community Shield, South Street and Tori Amos


I had an early start as I had to get to the Misconduct Tavern by 10am for the kick off of the Community Shield which I was watching with the Arsenal Philadelphia supporters club. They were most welcoming and quite dedicated (my photo doesn't do justice to how busy it was). I sat at the bar and had some interesting conversations with the fans to both sides of me. It was a good game and the 3-0 result was of course most pleasing. Hopefully it'll be the springboard for a successful season.

I'd noticed earlier that Tori Amos was playing at the Kimmel Center just around the corner in the evening. I would have been really annoyed if I'd have missed that concert and was lucky enough to find that there were still some tickets available for under $50. After getting my ticket I walked to Penn's Landing on the Delaware River. On the way there I bumped into my tour guide from yesterday taking another group around. On the riverside I stumbled into Bassmaster event. There was plenty of fishing equipment and even boats to be had alongside the fishing competition.
I walked on and down to South Street. I took more of it in today and checked out some of the stores. From there I walked down to the Italian Market again and back around and up to South Street to look at the stores on the other side of the road. I was starting to flag so got the subway back to the apartment to put my feet up and have something to eat.

The Kimmel Center is a fantastic building and Tori did, as always put in a magnificent performance. She played a quite different set from that I saw in London some months back. The only thing which spoilt it were a couple sporadically chatting next to me which meant I struggled to get fully into the concert until quite some time had passed. I did try and ask them to quieten down but was somewhat distracted.

I do like Philadelphia and feel I've discovered a lot more of it on this trip than on previous visits here. Tomorrow I move from here onto Baltimore.

Watching the Community Shield

At Bassmaster

Tori Amos, Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment