Saturday 30 August 2014

Cycling Indianapolis

I took full advantage of the $10 hostel bike hire today and rode for miles on an overcast day which was perfect for cycling. I was up early again, had breakfast outside on the deck then after a short rain shower started out on my day's riding.

I began by heading up the Monon Trail. I rode from the hostel at 49th Street up through Broad Ripple Village to 86th Street. It was pretty busy with a mixture of people enjoying a Saturday morning stroll, joggers and cyclists. I turned around and headed back via the Indianapolis Art Centre sculpture garden to the village stopping for an iced coffee.

I then rode down the Central Canal Towpath to the Indianapolis Museum of Art. I spent most of my time there looking at contemporary art and design and American art. It was interesting to spot a set of Arne Jacobsen cutlery (the sort we used at St Catz on a frequent basis) in the design section. I could have spent a lot more time in the museum as there was so much to see. I took a ride around the grounds, couldn't find anywhere to leave the bike for a look around the Lilly House and found the lake trail too impassable to see much.

I cycled on down the towpath then switched to the White River Trail to take me to the State Park. I had thought it would be busier but was actually very quiet. I checked out the sculptures in and around the Old Washington Street Bridge and cycled around the exterior of the zoo.

I made my way across town using various cycle paths to join the Monon Trail at its starting point at 10th Street.  I rode back up to Broad Ripple Village again stopping for a drink and then back to the hostel. I can't believe it's still so early, my legs certainly had energy to ride more as I paced myself very well. The city is so well set out for cyclists and whilst I had a few spots of rain along the way felt it was the perfect day for exploration of the city by bike.

Tomorrow I head to Milwaukee on the bus with a short stop in Chicago. It's not too far and I'm hoping I won't be too cramped as I feel my legs will need to stretch out after today.

Monon Trail

Indianapolis Museum of Art

Roy Lichtenstein - Five Brushstrokes, Indianapolis Museum of Art

1 comment:

  1. You must have been shattered after all that cycling,but well done on making the most of your hire bike.Great that Indianapolis has so many cycle ways,unusual for a city.
    Hope your legs are ok today and that your short trip to Milwaukee is comfortable.
    Enjoy Labor Day
    Love from us both

    ReplyDelete