Sunday 24 August 2014

Georgetown and arrival in Harpers Ferry


This morning I checked out of my hostel but left my bag there in storage and walked down to Union Station to pick up my train and bus tickets. It was overcast but still humid and I did get walm pretty quickly especially given I had my day pack filled with things I'd have usually left in a locker. 

I took a snaking route from the station back towards the hostel and caught the Circulator bus for a dollar out to Georgetown. It was a very nice area to walk around and when I got off the main streets with the usual big name stores found I was in some lovely residential areas. I walked up to and around Georgetown University where some of the students were already returning back and then wandered down and through Waterfront Park on the Potomac River.

I went on the bus back to my hostel, had something to eat then walked to the station to catch the train to Harpers Ferry. It only took an hour to get here then I had a 25 minute walk, much of it uphill to get to my hostel. This evening I've been back into the town for a proper look around and to get something to eat. The town is quite tiny yet steeped in Civil War history and is on the Appalachian Trail so there are lots of hikers here. I'll pop to the visitors centre in the morning so I can best figure how to fill my two days here.

Georgetown University

Georgetown houses

Teahorse Hostel, Harpers Ferry

3 comments:

  1. The hostel looks very homely, so let's hope this makes up for the long uphill walk from the station - also that Harpers Ferry, though small, makes up for this in interesting things to see and do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to Harpers Ferry so I'll look forward to hearing all about it when you are here. It sounds fascinating. Tom, you certainly get loads of exercise and I don't know why you aren't exhausted all the time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete