Saturday 23 August 2014

Dupont Circle, Football and Museums

I started my day with a walk to Duport Circle. It rained on my way there but not too heavily and it helped make the walk a bit cooler. There wasn't that much to see or do there but my main aim in that area was to find the Lucky Bar where the DC Armoury Arsenal supporters club watch the games. The bar was pretty busy as it was showing all the UK 3pm kick offs and only got busier as the start of the Arsenal game neared. I grabbed something to eat before kick off and was glad I got there early to secure a seat at the bar. The game was very tense as we went 2-0 down before half time. The bar erupted when we finally scored and went mad when we equalised in the last minute for the game to finish Everton 2-2 Arsenal. I hope to be back there for the Besiktas game next week.
When I left the bar it was raining quite heavily so I jumped on the subway and headed to The Mall to take a look around the National Museum of Natural History. It was very interesting but absolutely packed and I did feel overloaded with information again. After some time in there I moved just down the street to the National Museum of American History. It was really neat to see the original Star-Spangled Banner and I also really enjoyed the exhibits on the American Presidency and America at War. They have so much to see there and I'd love to have more time to see all the other exhibits on offer.
It had stopped raining by the time I left there just after 7pm so I had a leisurely stroll back to the hostel. I've eaten and I'm almost packed but need to figure out what to see and do tomorrow once I've checked out. My train doesn't leave until the afternoon so I've got plenty of time to see more of Washington.

Dupont Circle fountain

Heurich House
 
Everton vs Arsenal, Lucky Bar

1 comment:

  1. Accessed the blog via app today,yeah!
    Arsenal put us through it yesterday,but we never lost hope.
    Sounded like a very informative day again.Have you done all the museums now ?
    Have a good train trip to Harpers Ferry .

    ReplyDelete